Monday, June 16, 2008

Time to move forward!

I was reading a blog from Ed Stetzer (EdStetzer.com (1o)
this morning, and he was recapping the Southern Baptist Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana. During the convention Pastor Johnny Hunt from First Baptist Woodstock was named President. Congratulations Pastor Johnny! I know he will do a great job. Back to the blog; well read this and then I will comment:

Desire for More Methodological Diversity

"So many I spoke with desire to reach out to churches of different ministry paradigms. That is good news. Now, my only hope is that it is not too late.

Actually, that is not right. It is too late for many. We have preached out a whole generation of contemporary church pastors and they won't return. However, there is hope to connect with some who are still open and willing. My time with Troy Gramling, pastor of Flamingo Road Church (with over 7,000 in attendance each week) encouraged me that such is possible. And the scores of men planting culturally relevant churches (contemporary, urban, emerging, etc.) and many more seeking to revitalize plateaued churches give me hope for a future of biblically sound and missiologically diverse SBC congregations in North America. We will always be a convention of primarily traditional churches, and I am so thankful for them, but I am encouraged that there may be room at the table for other biblically faithful expressions of church and ministry."

I thought this was a good section, it's sad to read and see that in years past the SBC has preached out contemporary church pastors. I do believe this was and is changing. Over the last few years we have been in some great SBC churches, some were traditional and some were contemporary. Like First Baptist Woodstock, Bethel Baptist (Alabama), Fellowship Church, and NorthPoint. Seeing these churches is what helped us to make the decision to partner with the SBC. We are launching a contemporary church that is looking to make a difference in our community by changing the methods of how church is done , but not changing the life changing message of the Bible. So, to see that things are changing, for the simple reason to see more people reached is encouraging. Our partnership with the SBC has been great and I see this partnership lasting for many years. It's time to put the past in the past and "prepare for rain"!


No comments: