Monday, January 5, 2009

God and Your Bod

Started a new series this week "God and Your Bod".
It was a difficult message for me, as I shared with everyone how I struggle with food. I tried to be as transparent as I could. The bottom line is I love to eat and I love good food. But those are not the only reasons why I eat. Sometimes I eat when I get angry, or I'm really stressed. I eat because I think this is going to make me feel better. So what ends up happening is that food becomes like an addiction. It's like an alcoholic. Most alcoholics like to drink, they like the way it makes them feel, they think it helps them deal with their problem that they are dealing with. When the only thing it does is puts the problem on the back burner for a little bit.
Yesterday I talked about how the church and a lot of Pastors are very quick to call out the sin of an alcoholic, but don't ever talk about the sin of gluttony. It's probably because most Pastors (not all) are gluttons. It's better to be stuffing your face at the Golden Coral than bellying up to a bar. Whatever! The Bible put Alcoholics and Gluttons in the same category. Proverbs 23:20-21 Don't associate with those who drink too much wine, or with those who gorge themselves on meat. for the drunkard and the glutton will become poor, and grogginess will clothe them in rags.
Romans 12:1 say to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. 1 Corinthians says that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. God want us to glorify Him with our bodies. It matters to Him what goes into it, He wants us to have healthy bodies so we can be ready to do the things that He is going to ask us to do. Being unhealthy hurts us physically, mentally, and spiritually. When we get our physical bodies where they need to be, then mentally we will be stronger, and then we will be ready to receive the Word as God gives it to us.
so I challenge you to get healthy in 2009. I gave LifePoint a 30 day weight loss challenge that will start January 12th. We are going to work together to concur the sin of gluttony. And for every pound we lose as a church we are going to donate $1 a pound to Mission Possible for the children in the DR and Haiti.
And with God's help we can have victory!!

No comments: